My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, January 31, 2011

The Ring of Solomon

The Ring of Solomon by Jonathan Stroud.
Hardcover: 416 pages
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH;(November 2, 2010)
ISBN-10: 1423123727 


 
From Booklist
*Starred Review* Called a Bartimaeus Novel, Stroud’s latest opens in a time and place (950 BCE Jerusalem) so far removed from the nineteenth-century British setting of the self-contained Bartimaeus trilogy that even the word prequel overstates the connection. Still, one unforgettable character from the trilogy energizes the current book as well. After outwitting and slaying his master in the opening chapters here, the mouthy, sardonic djinni named Bartimaeus is summoned to the service of yet another magician from King Solomon’s court. Meanwhile, across the desert in Sheba, a young royal guard called Asmira embarks on a dangerous quest, hoping to save the queen and their land by stealing King Solomon’s ring. Although Stroud’s writing is never less than inventive and entertaining, the first 100-page section feels like a prelude to the rest of the novel, which takes off when idealistic Asmira encounters jaded Bartimaeus and they begin to make their way toward Solomon and his ring of power. The climactic scenes hold surprises for the reader as well as the characters. As in the trilogy, some chapters are related in third person, while others are narrated by Bartimaeus, and the latter chapters often include informative and amusing footnotes in his distinctive voice. A riveting adventure for Bartimaeus fans, old and new

When I had found that Jonathan Stroud had written another book using the conceited djinni with a very off beat sense of humor I immediately sent for the book, because I had so loved his trilogy where I first met Bartimaeus and found myself laughing out loud at a demon!  

...then as the book arrived and I was setting it atop my horrendous tbr pile I began to wonder...
Could Stroud really capture the essence of Bartimaeus once again?  Could he find the same insulting humor in the djinni as he once had?

I feared I'd be disappointed so I read a few other books before I finally picked up The Ring of Solomon.

I didn't have to read too long before I knew without a doubt that Bartimaeus was back in all his glory!   I smiled and chuckled and even laughed at times while reading this book... Jonathan Stroud had done it again! He had successfully given me yet another fun book to read!
I loved it.

I will keep it with the trilogy and read it again one day.
If you read the first trilogy let me put your mind to rest and tell you that I promise you will like this book too!

No, it does not take place in England as the trilogy did.  But that doesn't matter.  What does matter is Bartimaeus has returned once again, and if Jonathan Stroud is smart (and I think he is) ..he won't "release" Bartimaeus, but keep him as his slave for more books to come!

Any book he writes that has Bartimaeus in it, is a book I will buy, devour and totally enjoy!
Thanks Mr. Stroud ! I hope I haven't seen the last of that particular djinni !!

5 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

So glad you liked this one, Pat. I need to finish the other trilogy first but would love to read this one sometime soon as it sounds good. Lovely cover too...

6:49 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I need to read this whole series... I have the first book on my TBR, though. Just a matter of reading it!

7:07 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: if you like the personality given to Bartimaeus and find yourself chuckling then you will like the new book!

Kelly: it's light reading with some laughing along the way.. a welcome break to the norm.

6:05 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

I have been wondering about this, and I was worried about it, too. So glad to know you enjoyed it! I love Bartimaeus.

6:37 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Darla: then you will like this book. He's back in all his glory, just other characters with him.

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home