My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Among Others

Among Others by Jo Walton
Hardcover: 304 pages
Publisher: Tor Books;(January 18, 2011)
ISBN-10: 076532153X 



From Booklist
With a deft hand and a blazing imagination, fantasy writer Walton mixes genres to great effect. Elements of fantasy, science fiction, and coming-of-age novels combine into one superlative literary package that will appeal to a variety of readers across age levels. After engaging in a classic good-magic-versus-bad-magic battle with her mother that fatally wounds her twin sister, 15-year-old Morwenna leaves Wales and attempts to reconnect with her estranged father. She was sent to boarding school in England, and her riveting backstory unfolds gradually as she records her thoughts, feelings, and experiences in a series of journal entries. An ominous sense of disquiet permeates the nonlinear plot as Morwenna attempts to avoid a final clash with her mother. In addition to casting an irresistible narrative spell, Walton also pays tribute to a host of science-fiction masters as she peppers Morwenna’s journal with the titles of the novels she devours in her book-fueled quest for self-discovery.
O'm'gosh! I don't know where to begin, except to say I won this book from Carl over at Stainless Steel Rat, and now I can't begin to thank him!  And since I don't know where to begin to tell about the book, here's the link to Carl's review, since he, so obviously should be a book critic anyway!
As most of you know, I don't read sci-fi.  and this book mentions "tons" of sci-fi book titles and refers to them, but even so, I had no trouble what-so-ever enjoying this book!
As Carl had pointed out in his review Mori also mentions the Pern books a number of times and Stephen Donaldson's books . . all of which I have read.  Both of those sets of books would be correctly referred to as sci-fi (slash) fantasy.. with the emphasis on fantasy.
I did love how the book was formatted to be entries into Mori's journal. I've read a few other books done similar and enjoyed them also.  I did, at times almost forget she was only 15 yrs old because he writing was so well done... but then she was so well read, I guess I should expect that.
Mori's life, up to this age, was somewhat of a turmoil. Her parents were divorced, and due to her mother, her twin sister was dead and she herself had an on going leg problem.
I easily related to the divorced parents, and due to my reading habits now that I am old, I could relate to the enjoyment she received from reading and from being able to share that enjoyment with others.. had she been born a bit later I am sure she would be in our little community of book bloggers!
I have to say, I wish this book were longer.  And to be honest, Jo Walton "could" continue her story as she continues in school!  If she ever should decide to write more about Mori I will certainly purchase the book!
I wish I had the "words" like Mori did and like Carl does when he talks about an extremely enjoyable book.. but alas.. I can only say, "this one is a keeper!"  And hope that you decided for yourself to find this book and give it a go for yourself.
Here are some tidbits from the book itself... just to entice you!
"I did not buy Lord Foul's Bane by Stephen Donaldson which has the temerity to compare itself, on the front cover, to "Tolkien at his best".  The back cover attributes the quote to the Washington Post, a newspaper whose quotations will always damn a book for me from now on.  How dare they? And how dare they publishers? It isn't a comparison anyone could make, except to say, "Compared to Tolkien at his best, this is dross..."
"What is it with me and Anne McCaffrey and getting the second book first? Dragonsinger is the sequel to something I've never seen called Dragonsong!  I read it anyway.  It's set in Pern, rather than being about Pern, if that makes sense.  I would like a fire-lizard.  Or a dragon, for that matter.  I'd come swooping in on my blue dragon and she'd breathe fire and burn down the school!"
"Bibliotropic", Hugh said, "Like sunflowers are heliotropic, they naturally turn towards the sun.  We naturally turn towards the bookshop."
"The acupuncture went well.  It turned the pain off entirely while I was on the table.  That's marvelous, it's just so nice not to have any pain at all, not grinding away in the background even, just no pain.  I lived like that for years, but it's hard to remember.  Pain oozes.  Like my dream with the ballerina with the walking stick."

11 Comments:

Blogger Kailana said...

I really really want to read this!!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed this one so much!

1:14 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: you need to read this! lol

kathleen: thanks Kathleen..it's always a joy when a book hits that nerve that makes it a must read type of book

6:45 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Another thumbs up, huh? Seems as if everyone who reads this is enchanted by it...I can't wait to add my name to that list. :)

6:51 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Better add this one to the list, been hearing an awful lot about it and it sounds good. Isn't Jo Walton the author of a dragon series? Or do I have the wrong person...

3:51 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I am so glad you enjoyed it and that it made such a strong impression on you. It is such a lovely and interesting book, one that captures so imaginatively what it means to be a person for whom reading fiction is an integral part of life. I not only saw myself as a teen reader in the story but saw parts of myself now as well. I've read the book twice now and enjoyed it every bit as much the second time around.

Yay! I'm so glad you won it.

4:38 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Debi: yep put it on the wish list for sure!!!

Cath: it's a pretty incredible book. at some point or another you have to relate with her thoughts, be it about books or life.

Carl: I'm glad too! and yes it's hard not to be able to relate to many parts of the story... thanks again Carl

4:43 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I read Carl's review and wanted this book, which I would have wanted anyway because Jo Walton is so good. I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much to. How lovely that you won it from Carl as well :-)

1:33 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Susan: i am rarely lucky but I was with this book! you need to read it!

6:01 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I am DYING to read this book!! Every review I've read of it says it's fantastic...I'm thinking this may end up on my Once Upon a Time pile :p

12:33 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Read it Chris!!!

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home