My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Waiting for Columbus

Waiting for Columbus by Thomas Trofimuk.
Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: Anchor (October 5, 2010)
ISBN-10: 0307456196 



From Publishers Weekly
Canadian writer Trofimuk's uneven novel begins with an inspired premise: a man claiming to be Christopher Columbus shows up at an insane asylum in contemporary Spain. Under the care of a nurse named Consuela, he begins to tell stories of Columbus's adventures, remembering some and reliving others. Meanwhile, Interpol declares the mystery man officially suspicious and dispatches an agent specializing in cold trails to track him down.
How can I say that the book did not "grab me and become something I couldn't put down"..and yet... I found that I wanted to continue to read it.
The book is about a man who is in an asylum claiming to be Christopher Columbus. I thought the premise was quite interesting and so sent for the book from Amazon.
The story itself was actually quite good.  I found myself with many questions.  Why Columbus?  Why were his stories in the past and little things in the "now"?  What would happen when he finished his stories?
I have to say I think the book had a little more potential than it had, and sadly, I was disappointed in the ending. 
No, endings don't have to happen "happily ever after".. I guess I wanted to know more about what happens to Columbus.  Overall, it's quite an interesting story.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

I'm intrigued by this premise too. I'm sorry the book didn't deliver a bit better on what it promised.

4:25 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kathleen excellent premise..just wish it had a better ending lol.. it kinda went flat.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I am kinda curious about this book, but haven't actually attempted to read it yet...

11:07 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Not one to add to my tbr pile then? Thank gawd for that... *snigger*

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home