My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Alice I Have Been

Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin
Hardcover: 368 pages
Publisher: Delacorte Press;(January 12, 2010)
ISBN-10: 0385344139

 

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Benjamin draws on one of the most enduring relationships in children's literature in her excellent debut, spinning out the heartbreaking story of Alice from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Her research into the lives of Charles Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll) and the family of Alice Liddell is apparent as she takes circumstances shrouded in mystery and colors in the spaces to reveal a vibrant and passionate Alice. Born into a Victorian family of privilege, free-spirited Alice catches the attention of family friend Dodgson and serves as the muse for both his photography and writing. Their bond, however, is misunderstood by Alice's family, and though she is forced to sever their friendship, she is forever haunted by their connection as her life becomes something of a chain of heartbreaks. As an adult, Alice tries to escape her past, but it is only when she finally embraces it that she truly finds the happiness that eluded her. Focusing on three eras in Alice's life, Benjamin offers a finely wrought portrait of Alice that seamlessly blends fact with fiction.
I am on a roll !  Yet another enjoyable read!
Once again I have surprised myself. First by getting a book I was unsure of (since I don't care for retold faery tales) and second for totally enjoying the book!
Of course it helped immensely that it turned out not to be a retold faery tale.  But rather a historical fiction story about Alice, who was the same Alice as Alice in Wonderland and about Mr Dodgson (Lewis Carroll) who put the story down on paper at the behest of Alice.
The book was very interesting.  It takes you from Alice's early childhood when she meets Dodgson , and what her family life was like living at the Deanery, all the way to her reclining years in only 368 pages!  It sounds impossible but it's all there and it's done with a most enjoyable language. 
I guess it's the historical correctness that pulled me in to Alice I Have Been.  The same thing happened with Drood and other books I have read.  Not that I would really know if they are all correct or not but it sure feels right! When you know it's fiction yet feel like it's real..that's good story telling.
I think anyone else reading this will enjoy it as much as I did.
I'm not sure what my next read will be yet... and it's not that many weeks away until RIP so I have to be careful not to read anything I could use for Carls next Challenge!

8 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

This sounds like a fascinating book, Pat---And one that really interests me...This one will be on my AMAZON list...!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Love the sound of this! Will check it out properly when I have more than 5 minutes to spare. LOL!

12:42 PM  
Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

Oh, yes this sounds wonderful :D

8:37 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

naomi: sometimes we forget that characters are modeled after real people!

Cath: it's a fast read. but interesting!

kelly: good you need more books!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I am glad you enjoyed this! As you know I just read her other book, so I want to read this one soon!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I've heard lots of good things about this one. Glad to hear that you found it so enjoyable.

4:11 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

OMG I can't believe you reviewed this!! I just added this to my wishlist today!! I heard an interview with Melanie Benjamin today on the Diane Rehm show on NPR…she was talking about her new book about the wife of Tom Thumb…and she mentioned this one and I knew I wanted to read it! Glad you enjoyed it :)

10:59 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

chris: hi baby boy! yep I enjoyed the book and the wife of tom thumb is on MY wishlist! lol lol

5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home