My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Remarkable Creatures: A Novel

Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier
Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: Plume;(October 26, 2010)
ISBN-10: 0452296722


Review
Praise for Remarkable Creatures 'It is a stunning story, compassionately re-imagined' Guardian 'Chevalier recently stated that making fossils sexy was one of her chief aims in writing Remarkable Creatures. With this very entertaining book, she has certainly succeeded' Telegraph 'Very entertaining and informative' The Times 'The backdrop of shifting evolutionary ideas finds a rueful echo in Chevalier's tender portrayal of two extraordinary women who refuse to be constrained by society' Sunday Telegraph 'An enthralling novel of female friendship and fossil hunting.' Woman and Home 'An extraordinary tale about two 19th century women who attempt to alter ideas about creationism with their discoveries of dinosaur fossils' Daily Mirror 'Involving themes of friendship and the hidden world of women as much as the excitement of discovering the fossils' significance, Remarkable Creatures is itself a find'
It would seem that upon finishing reading "Folly" that my hand landed upon a completely different but ever so interesting second book.. "Remarkable Creatures".
Of course the fact that I have been (and still am sick) makes for a lot more reading time..but then again if the book doesn't grab me I would be napping instead of reading!
This books review seemed off beat to me.  I wasn't sure it would be for me but along the way some reviews but blogs I read made me thing I might like it after all.  I wish I knew who'd reviews I read because I'd thank them.
I can't say that fossils are my thing but having two woman searching for them in a time when fossils would not be a "female thing" was interesting.  The searches.  The finds.  The bonding of a young poor girl and middle class spinster. The friendship. The jealousy. The marvel at making people open their minds to something they don't really want to believe!
Tracy Chevalier did her homework on this book, and it couldn't have been easy... but I think she got everything spot on on the historical parts and on the fictional story too.
I enjoyed this book much more then I thought I would! 
That makes two surprises in a row!  I needed that.

8 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I need to read this! I've been aware of it for a while but just not got around to it. She's such a good author, my favourite of hers so far is Falling Angels but her others are good too... Girl with a Pearl Earring etc.

Hoping you feel better soon.

6:53 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: i haven't read any other of her books but was an interesting story of "class" yet how the way things people thought would be changed forever.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed this. I have 3 of her books over the years, but it has been a while... I agree with Cath, Falling Angels has been my favourite by her so far.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Happy to hear you enjoyed this one. I've heard good things about it.

5:31 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: pahleeze! lol detur me for a while will ya? hahahahahaha

kathleen: I would be remiss not to say this would be a perfect "beachside read" lol

5:46 AM  
Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

So...dis ahe succeed in making fossils sexy? Great review Pat, sounds like an interesting and entertaining read. Hope you're feeling better soon :D

6:37 PM  
Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

Wow...holy typo Batman...lol

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great review! As a fan of the TV show Bones, I've been fascinated with fossils, bones, relics and all sorts of other old ancient buried things, so this one sounds like it might be right up my alley. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home