My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, August 15, 2011

The Moonstone

The Moonstone by Wilke Collins.
Paperback: 432 pages
Publisher: Dover Publications (October 29, 2002)
ISBN-10: 0486424510


From Wikipedia
The Moonstone (1868) by Wilkie Collins is a 19th-century British epistolary novel, generally considered the first detective novel in the English language. The story was originally serialized in Charles Dickens' magazine All the Year Round. The Moonstone and The Woman in White are considered Wilkie Collins' best novels. Besides creating many of the characteristics of detective novels, The Moonstone also represented Collins' social opinions by his treatment of the Indians and the servants in the novel. Collins adapted The Moonstone for the stage during 1877, but the production was performed for only two months.
Brash Statement: I have come to the conclusion that I like Wilke Collins writing above the very famous Charles Dickens!
What made me wait so long to read this book after I had read The Woman in White and enjoyed it way more then I ever thought I would!?    No other reason then it was a paperback with not the largest printing I've seen in a paperback. *sigh*..  
So.. I finally decided to tackle it and what did I find?... I found I couldn't put it down for very long!  I was limited on how much or how long I could read the print but  as soon as I felt my eyes had rested I had the book back on my lap opened to where I had left off!
I really REALLY liked this book! (and I really REALLY like The Woman in White also).
Like Dickens, Wilke wrote some fabulous characters to weave through the mystery of the stolen Diamond, the Moonstone.   There were twist and turns, there was a love story, and there were surprises and intrigue!  What more can one person ask ?
I really don't want to give anything away, but I can say that I think anyone who picks up this book to read a mystery taken place back in 1948.. well.. you won't be disappointed .
If someone had told me that I would become a Wilke Collins Fan, even only a few years ago, I would have laughed at the statement... but a fan I have become.
I have enjoyed both the books I have read of his and now I am on a quest for find a copy of No Name that the print might be decent enough for me to read..(so far I've only heard of it in paperback and I am keeping an eye out for an old used hb copy.  If you hear of one let me know~!)
For now, I will say that the Moonstone should go on any reading list that likes "Victorian mysteries"... 'nuff said.

12 Comments:

Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

Oh Yay!!! I'm so glad you had such a fun time with this book. I love it when that happens...pleasant surprises :D I hope your able to find the other one;)

4:39 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I really enjoyed this book when I read it at the end of last year. I am planning to read The Woman in White for RIP. :)

5:14 PM  
Blogger barrettmanor said...

I read that a couple of weeks ago. You might also enjoy his "The Law and the Lady," which seems to be the first Victorian-era novel in which the detective was a woman.

10:03 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: yup I do like wilke collins..he takes a mystery and shows it from different view points..now I wouldn't want that in every book I read but it's really nice for a change..

kailana/kelly: lol..the woman in white it a bigger book and a better story line...

wow, hi Julie: I will look into that book thanks...

6:40 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I read this one years ago and can't remember much about it so will stick it on my Kindle soon for a reread. (A lot of his writings are free.) I also just downloaded Collins' The Haunted Hotel to read for RIP. No idea what it's about but it sounds good. Glad you loved The Moonstone so much.

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you enjoyed this book. Great when one just speaks to you. I might have read the Moonstone years ago, because it does sound familar, but it could have been another book with a similar title. I am going through quite a few books while I am on chemo, but most easy read thrillers, mysteries, sci-fi or novels like Water for Elephants. Want to read the Help, but might have to wait for paper back. Glad you are blogging again after getting stuck on reading. Vala

4:10 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hey Sher... I think I will go see the movie of The Help..some good actors in it. Hope all is going well... I will try to call you this week.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Daphne said...

I loved this one too -- I'm a total Wilkie fan now! I found this to be totally readable, even to today's modern eyes.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I read this one years ago, but I did really enjoy it. Glad to see you did too!

6:24 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

The dates mentioned confused me---18 something and then 1948?? Was he writing about 'the future'??
Sounds like an interesting book! I find small print very difficult now....!

10:09 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

You are already getting into the RIP mood! You are now way up on me in the Collins department, considering I've only read a bit of The Woman in White. I consider myself a Dickens fan and it heartens me to read about your like for both of these Collins novels.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home