My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, August 07, 2011

My Dream of Stars

My Dream of Stars by Anousheh Ansari w/ Homer Hickam.
Paperback: 256 pages
Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan;(April 26, 2011)
ISBN-10: 0230112218


From Booklist
In this breezy memoir, Ansari documents how she became the first Muslim woman to travel into space. From a difficult childhood in Tehran, through immigration and personal and professional success in the U.S., she provides an inside look at her life and lifelong dream to enter space. Hitting it big in the telecommunications business provided the finances, and involvement in the X Prize brought the connections, enabling her to enter the Russian space program in 2006. Her descriptions of cosmonaut training are particularly interesting, although even here she takes care to avoid comment on serious controversies. Readers expecting a visceral punch from coauthor Hickam (Rocket Boys, 1998) will be disappointed; his voice is largely absent. Just following how Ansari accomplished her dream will be interesting enough to space fans, but although her story is emotional, her writing does not rise to the level of her subject. Ansari delivers a straightforward account of a widely watched event;
This is a short, feel good book, about having a dream when you are very young, and through hard work and never giving up...the dream comes true.
It's not all that common for dreams to come true. Sometimes no matter how hard one tries it just doesn't happen...which does not mean one should not try!
The book is a feel good book .  It always feels good to see the odds beaten down .  What were the odds that from a country with suppressed women one would come to America, become rich, AND live her dream?!  
My Dream of Stars is a brief Biography of Anousheh Ansari and how she managed to have her dream come true.  I was surprised that she was involved in the X Prize of a private person building their own *space ship*.  I remembered little about it but did remember seeing the "flight" on TV when it happened.  But to go from involvement in that to becoming a Cosmonaut ...is simply amazing, but I also have to admit to having read more interesting books about going into space and the moon etc... yet again, it's good to know sometimes dreams really do come true!

4 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Given her background that's an amazing story, pity the book was a bit 'so-so'.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I am a bit curious about this book. I don't really want to buy it, though, and the library doesn't have it...

10:48 AM  
Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

Quick, feel good books hit the spot sometimes, don't they? Glad it was an enjoyable read :D

7:43 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I agree with you...It makes one feel REALLY REALLY Good to read about a person's dream coming true! It is inspiring. It's too bad the book isn't better written..But, ultimately it sounds like her points are made. 'Go after your dream'...!

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home