My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, October 10, 2011

The Day After…

As some of you might know, parts of Florida had more than it’s fair share of stormy rains over the weekend.  It actually began on Friday, Saturday was the worst but Sunday got somewhat better (not as much rain) but still had winds up to 50 mph. and we had maybe 2 downpours intermittent with some sun.

oct13rain[1]

This morning (Monday) the sun came out and the wind had subsided so I went out for a look see.  I was quite surprised.  Many small branches from the trees were on the ground, but that wasn’t the surprise.   The surprise was that I didn’t spot a single bird!  Not one pesky Ibis!!! (unheard of!)  Then I noticed some of my small plants knocked over .. with the wind we had I wasn’t surprised at all… until I went to set them back up and found this….

oct101[1]

Ah well now.  I would say there had been a crab by my apartment, and someone had a good meal!  No signs of any more of the shell, just these two claws.  There must have been a “struggle” and that’s how my plants were knocked down.  I feel bad for the crab but someone had a good dinner!

Finally, after about 20 minutes I spotted a Moorhen!  And then… low and behold.. the Anhinga was drying its wings up atop a tree!   I think he was playing “king of the mountain tree”

oct102[1]

…and then he struck this pose.. I am sure he thought he was a Bald Eagle! (not!)

oct103[1]

Another hour has passed and still no Ibis or other birds.  I guess they got blown away and will take some time to return.

Mostly I am waaay happy that the water level of the pond is receding!  I was beginning to think I might need my water wings! (can’t swim.. heh).

Anyway… that’s the “day after” at the pond!

6 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I LOVE the picture of the Anhinga with his wings spread---He looks like he is doing a "big finish" to a rousing performance of a song....lol!
That sounds like quite a terrible storm, Pat....!

1:11 PM  
Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

That crab claw is too funny...it must have been a battle to the death...lol

8:05 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Wow that's some rain you had there! Does that mean it was a bit cooler for a while? Or is that a silly question?

You changed your header! Can I come sit in the forest with you??? Oh how I would love to have a log cabin in the woods... *sigh*

11:15 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

naomi: we had over 12 inches of rain...guess there's no more water shortage!

Kelly: guess whatever caught the crab didn't know the claws are the best part! lol

Cath: lol that's me in the forest lol I used the pic I had from a few years ago of me sitting in the cemetary reading for rip LOL.. we do have many things alike from the time I was young (back when there were only dirt roads) I have always wanted to live in a log cabin in the wooded mountain somewhere *sigh* Now I am so old that even if I could afford it I couldn't live far from doctors and hospitals! :o(

12:37 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Whoa, that is a lot of water still for the 'day after'. I do hope your birds have found their way home and I hope your rains are more evenly distributed in the future. Don't want to read about you having to learn to be a duck.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I hope all of the birds have come back to home (the pond) by now and are safe and sound. You are right, someone sure did have a good meal from that crab!

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home