My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Here, There & Everywhere

(nice post title eh?!)

Well.. first things first…

My most favorite author (ever) has passed away.  Or, as I’d rather think…she’s gone between on her own beloved Queen, for she was a Queen herself.

Anne McCaffrey.  The first woman to make dragons loveable. She created a wonderful planet, the likes of which Pandora would be jealous. And her characters.. well.. they are all so memorable, they are never completely out of my mind no matter how long I go in between re-reads.

anne-mccaf[1] I met her once at a convention.  Loved her immediately. ..and when she told me she fashioned Masterharper Robinton after her neighbor, I quietly asked her, “if I book a flight to Ireland, can I get his address from you?”… I made her laugh!

Thank you Anne McCafferty.. thank you for loving your profession, for bringing to life for me dragons and people that will remain in my memory forever.

RIP.

********************************************************

Wow.. hard to change topics after that news…

But as you can see… my turkey, which I will cook tomorrow is defrosting nicely in the refrigerator.. awaiting his turn to get a nice golden tan!

turk[1]

On Thanksgiving I will be home alone home[1] (gasp!)  but I HAVE to make a turkey otherwise I can’t make my Turkey Vegetable Soup later… oh forbid I don’t have my soup!!  So tomorrow I will get up and stuff a 14 lb turkey (the smallest one I’ve ever made!) (I’m kinda glad.. I’m not up to cooking the full meal!  Just Turkey, stuffing and gravy with cranberry sauce.)

Although it will be a lot of work to stuff it, cook it, then bone it…. my cat will be forever grateful. (it’s so true that “dogs have masters and cats have slaves!)

******************************************************

My reading has slowed to a crawl … although I am totally enjoying the book I am reading. I guess life sometimes gets in the way.. after all I did have to get through the finale of Dancing With the Stars!

finale[1]

I thought the 3 finalists were all very good and as always it comes down to who has the most fans… but they were all great.  I especially enjoyed seeing Chaz Bono back.. I wish, for his health’s sake, he cold loose some weight, but I can see in his smile that he is  happy…and when I see someone happy, that makes me smile.

ACBJZR4[1]

Now that Dancing is over for this season I can finally watch Terra Nova on TV instead of on Hulu!

10 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

That's a lovely way to think of Anne... as having 'gone between'. I love your Ireland anecdote... lol

Wish I could be there to share your Thanksgiving meal, Pat. One day I swear I *will*. Hope you enjoy it anyway and more importantly, *the soup*. I made some yesterday from leftovers and it's *so* good.

We're just halfway through our Strictly Come Dancing. Loving it.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I'm so sorry to hear of McCaffrey's passing. Yet another author who I did not read while they were alive. That makes me sad.

Jeff asked me to pass on his condolences as well as he knows you were a big fan.

On a lighter note, I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

10:19 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: If I had been Anne that what I would have wanted to feel like happened.. :o)

Carl & Jeff: awww thanks.. I am feeling a bit down over it today.. glad I have work to keep me busy tomorrow with the turkey and stuffing and gravy..honestly, add that cranberry sauce and that's all I liked eating anyway! lol.. "in the old days" I began days ahead of time and made home made bread (I could freeze it) and pies before I even got to the turkey...but ya know what? I don't miss those things and it's a lot less to clean up lol..wow, guess I have turned into an old fart after all!...

10:46 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I think "old fartism" is inevitable for us all. I was just thinking about how much I've changed over the last two decades and how my greatest desire most days is to stay home when I used to be the kind of person who always wanted to go somewhere and do something. Not that I'm being lazy and sluggish at home, but what makes me happy has changed.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Sorry to hear about Anne McCaffrey. I've yet to read any of her work and wish I had done so while she was alive. I do hope that you enjoy your holiday and that you and Boo enjoy the turkey!

5:13 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Sorry to read of your literary loss---How WONDERFUL that you got to meet her and speak with her....


I didn't watch DANCING WITH THE STARS but when I heard the results, I thought, it was the right guy that won. An inspiring human being is J.R. Martibez.

Good for you that you are cooking a Turkey and stuffing, etc....I too will be alone--No Turkey, but, dear Sweetie will keep me company as I put down his 4th dish of Wet Food....Speaking of Servants....lol!

HAVE A LOVELY DAY, MY DEAR PAT.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

It is really too bad that Anne McCaffrey has passed. I really need to read more by her!

9:48 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kathleen: if you rather read sci fi then read the crystal singer series she wrote but (and for some reason they consider the Pern series sci fi..they are mostly fantasy) Dragon Flight, Dragon Quest and the White Dragon are her most famous.

Naomi: dogs have us as slaves also... they just don't know it like cats do LOL.

Kelly: She was amazing.. it always surprises me when, since she wrote so much for so long that many people never even heard of her. I hope you read some Pern books one day and I hope you love them.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I thought of you immediately when I heard the news about Anne McCaffrey :( I still haven't read her (I know, I know), but she sounds like she was a lovely lady in addition to being a great author.

I hope you're having a good Thanksgiving today! Enjoy your turkey :)

5:04 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

"Terra Nova" was filmed around here where I live in Australia (South East Queensland - the hinterland up behind the Gold Coast). I've not watched full episodes as yet as it always conflicts with other shows I watch. It will, no doubt, be repeated so I'll catch up in depth then.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home