My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, November 07, 2011

A Little bit of This and a Little bit of That

This post is a prime example of why I call my blog “Here, There & Everywhere”.  It’s a bit of this and a bit of that.. and mostly “told” in pictures….

Ok, up first is the fact that everyone insists that it’s Fall and so I searched for what few examples I find in southern Florida for Fall. (a season I only dream of anymore.)

Note : Anhinga in a tree.. note the rust colored leaves of the Bald Cypress Tree.. .. that’s “Fall”.

nov21-1[1]

Number 2 of Fall:  The squirrels are out in force and getting their “winter fat” so they can hibernate for the full 6 weeks of winter. (loud sigh of resignation)

nov61[1]

..nonstop, eat, eat, eat.. got to store that fat for the long cold winter! (yes, I said that in a sarcastic tone!)

nov62[1]

I hear the tiny cheeps of our winter Warbler!  Not the easiest bird to get a decent photo of so you get what I got!…

nov63[1]

And last but not least.. little acorns fall from the mighty Live Oak trees.  That’s it folks. That sums up what I found around the pond to indicate that Turkey day is right around the corner!

acorns[1]

Now for the Little Bit of That part:

I am actually excited that on Nov. 19th, at the book store right down the road from me a guest author is coming to do a book signing.  Now, many of you know that I collect autographs, but generally they are on photo’s.. when I have no other choice it is on a book.   Did I hear someone say ‘what’s wrong with it on a book?”… well my apartment is only about 600 square feet and that includes the kitchen, eating area and bathroom.. which means there is very little room for all the books I already have!!!  Therefore, I’d much rather have a signature on a photograph that goes into a plastic sleeve and into a binder… but…………………. I will take what I can get.  Especially because the author that is coming to do the signing just happened to be on Apollo 15 that went to the moon!  If you don’t know how much I love the astronauts (especially from Mercury, Gemini and Apollo..then you don’t know me!)

Astronaut Al Worden will be doing a book signing in just 2 weeks!  So trust me when I say I went to the book store to get the specifics on exactly where and when to be there!

WordenatNASM395[1]

I ran home and ordered the book from Amazon since it did save me 12.00 from the bookstore price.  I am sorry I cannot support them more, because I do love bookstores.. but I just don’t have it to spare.  So it is already on it’s way to me as I type this!  As you can see it’s called Falling to Earth by Al Worden.

I made a composite photo of him below and will have a friend print it off and hope that I can get him to sign the photo as well as the book… but I do know that he probably will only sign books.. However I will take it on the off chance he’s in a good mood and will sign a photo!

worden395[1]

Next, a little more of A Little of That… more used books that have come into my house.  If I were giving points to those I blame for my getting certain books I would blame the Anthony Trollope book and the Bill Bryson books on Cath!  Actually, I’d blame the second Alan Bradley book on her too!    But truth be known I can only blame her because these books happen to be in the used book stores!  I only paid 1.00 for that huge Anthony Trollope book and it’s like new.. 3.00 for the Alan Bradley and for A Walk in the Woods (which I am reading now and happily getting many chuckles over) and 2.00 for the Errol Flynn book.    Now, deduct the books I read for RIP and add these and I am back at 142 books in my tbr pile!!!    ……….. I give up!………..

usedbks[1]

And Last of all………… this Star Trek Jacket which I still want for Christmas in case any of you would like to take up a collection and send it to me! LOL.. hey, it never hurts to put it out there! hahahaha…………….

ts296B[1]

11 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Lots of great stuff here! Thrilled to see another Flavia de Luce book made it to your tbr pile. As you know I just picked up the fourth one and can't wait to get to it. The third has probably been my favorite thus far and I'm happy to be returning to the character here soon.

Love that you are getting to go to that book signing. That is so great! I know you'll be there early and will be raring to go. I don't know of a more perfect book signing to be taking place close to your home. You do love the astronauts (rightfully so, they are awesome!). Can't wait for your post about the event. Fingers crossed that you can get the photo AND book signed.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

And your 'fat' squirrel pics are cute.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

That is so exciting about the book signing Pat. I do hope he will sign your photo for you!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Love your pics and comments, Pat. You always make me laugh. Enjoy your book signing. I'm so thrilled that you're getting the opportunity to see one your 'heroes' from the space programme!

I've read three of your four new books. How strange is that? Loved the Trollope, loved the Bryson (very funny) and that's the Flavia book I just finished. It was huge fun and now I have book three from the library. Glad to hear from Carl that the third one is so good. So yeah, probably my fault you ended up with those books but I think you'll like them all. (Say she, crossing her fingers...)

6:01 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: 12 days but who's counting? lol

Kathleen: well, I don't have a lot of hope. Most say "books only" but I have to try! lol

Cath: I know you've read 3 of these books lol that Trollope book is BIG! but I hope to get to all of them sooner or later..hey it took well over a year for me to finally read the Oscar Wilde book! lol...sometimes I really wish I could read faster...I spend more time trying to move the floaters in my eyes around than to do actually reading! *sigh*

7:00 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh I hope he signs the picture, too....I bet he will! It is very flattering to know that someone went to a lot of trouble to maje a "special" montage....! Good Luck, my dear....!

8:51 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I hope you have lots of fun at the book signing. I will have to read that book at some point!

1:44 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi: I am not even sure why I enjoy collecting autographs on photo's when the best part is meeting some of those that you have admired for so long.

kelly: Just got the book from Amazon..I thought I would be a bigger book, it looks to be very readable but this one I will get signed and then when the paperback comes out I will get one and read it. I don't want to damage the "autographed" one in anyway.

5:42 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Such a fun-filled post! I love all the pics, but am especially in love with that first one! I'm sorry you don't get more of a "fall"--I know I'd be miserable without it. But I am sooooo excited for you about the Worden signing!!! I really hope he'll be a sweetie and sign your photo, too. :)

10:51 AM  
Blogger Alyce said...

I love all things Star Trek - that's a neat jacket! :) I know I would miss the changes of winter if I lived in the south, but right now I'm very jealous of the warm weather.

11:46 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Debi: I am excited too! One week from Saturday woohoo! I hope he signs the photo too but I am pushing the envelope as they say.. we'll see lol at least I will get it on the book! That makes 4 "moon astronauts" signatures! 2 moon-walkers (Buzz Aldrin and Alan Bean) and 2 that flew the capsule around the moon for 3 days each ( Dick Gordon and Al Worden)...

Alyce (rhymes with peace) Oh boy I miss spring and fall something fierce!! Born and raised in NJ so you know I miss them!
I am glad you are a Trekkie!! I miss going to trek conventions!

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home