My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, January 08, 2012

Double Crochet, Double Crochet..

So… old habits die hard…or I should say, .. look for reasons to resume!

We’ve had some gorgeously cool weather down here!  The nights dipping into the 40’s and even 30’s and the days were still cool enough to wear jeans and a light weight flannel shirt!  (there is absolutely nothing more comfortable than to be in sweats or flannel shirts!)

There’s an old Irving Berlin song call Cheek to Cheek.  In it are a few words I feel when these cool temperatures finally come to Florida. It goes something like this…

Heaven, I'm in Heaven,
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak;
And I seem to find the happiness I seek
When we're out together dancing, cheek to cheek.

Well I may not be dancing but I started to Crochet again!  It takes cool weather for me to feel like I may not croak tomorrow… sheesh.. when the cool weather comes I feel like cooking things like soups and stews and chili and I walk a mile twice a day again and now I’ve added “ye ol’ crochet hook” to my list.

Below is the beginnings of  something I wanted to try in a heavy cotton (vs. yarn).

crochet[1]

I finished it the other day and laid it out on my table to look at it.

doily[1]

(closer view of  the “roses”)

doily2[1]

Then I though to see it on the table without the table cloth on it….

doily3[1]

..and one more shot from across the room…

doily4[1]

Of course now that it’s made I don’t know what the hell to do with it!!!  It was just one of those “pretty pictures that I wanted to see if I could make it or not”.   Since it’s heavy cotton and not the thin stuff I am not even sure if I can use some spray starch on it with an iron to make it lay neater… any suggestions?  (Come on Debi ! You are Queen of Crafting and the only one I know who might know what to do lol)

Anyway…now it’s on to an Afghan I am sure.. and no I don’t know what to do with it when I’m done either.. I have no room to store any more than I already have…but I like to Crochet now and then…and the cool weather is at fault!  Yeah, that’s the ticket! The weather is to blame!! (gotta love John Lovitz for coming up with “that’s the ticket” lol)

13 Comments:

Blogger Kailana said...

My mother makes blankets to the point where I honestly have no where to put any more... It's a good thing I am never inspired to make my own.

9:44 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Hmmm. That's funny. My father used to say "That's The Ticket", all the time---when I was young---waaaay before John Lovitz....
Never learned to chrochet...But that looks great, Pat...!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Reckless Librarian said...

That's lovely! I'm still a crochet beginner, but your flowers are gorgeous; I'll aspire to flowers like that.

2:40 PM  
Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

OMG!!! Pat that's gorgeous!!! I am soooo impressed. Oh, and we can always use extra blankets in Jersey...lol

4:16 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

I love it. Helen

4:51 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Just beautiful, Pat. A work of art.

J and S went home today. Give me a couple of days to collaspe in a mindless heap and then we'll skype.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Geez--it looks so pretty on your table there that I figured you made it just for that spot! It really is gorgeous, Pat!

Sorry I don't have any suggestions. Heck, I was impressed with how well it was laying already!

Have you thought about opening an Etsy shop? Seriously.

7:50 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Pat! You freaking amaze me!! It's so freaking gorgeous! I don't know how you make things like that!! I think you should leave it on your table :) And I second Debi's suggestion of opening an Etsy shop!! People would pay good money for your gorgeous afghans!!

12:25 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

First off I hope everyone realizes the only reason I took pics of this and made a post of it is for 2 reasons.. one, I had nothing else to post about and two I really don't know what to do with it...I made it just to see if I could and to keep my mind going...the etsy ideas wouldn't work just as selling them doesn't work because of the economy..and because no one pays for "creative labor"..that little thing cost close to 15.00 for material alone. An afghan with not so soft yarn ...about 30-40 and one with some softer yarn 50 and up ...just for the material! Once Upon a Time (as Carl likes to say lol) you didn't have the "better yarns" and afgans could be made for maybe 18-25 dollars. add to it that I am sure there are "professional" ways of making them better than I do.. makes them not very sellable. I'd feel guilty even charging the cost of the yarn.

so..

kelly: if you find out what to do with them let me know! lol.. donate them I guess.

naomi: really? your dad used that phrase?? lol I wonder how it began?

Reckless:they aren't as hard as one might think..chain/single,double, and triple crochet, slip stitch. I think that's all they comprise of.

kelly: LOL I'll keep that in mind lol

Thanks Helen, I hope you are doing better.

cath: emailed you.

Debi: I am not that big of oversized doilies lol.. sometimes one has to challenge theirself lol

Chris: speaking of Etsy shops.. how's yours going?

5:32 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Gorgeous!

4:22 PM  
Blogger Kel :) said...

Congratulations on finishing the rose mat it looks beautiful. I can think of one thing you could try, you could stitch it to a plain cushion, shawl or blanket, that way its out of the way but still putting a designer touch to your room.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Titus 2 w/TLC said...

I would LOVE to have this pattern!

It is absolutely breathtaking!!
tlcaka89@yahoo.com

3:07 PM  
Blogger Titus 2 w/TLC said...

This is absolutely breathtaking!!

I would LOVE to have this pattern!
tlcaka89@yahoo.com

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home