My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, February 20, 2012

The Secret of Crickley Hall

The Secret of Crickley Hall by James Herbert

Paperback: 640 pages
Publisher: Tor Books; (July 5, 2011)
ISBN-10: 0765328887

 

 crik2[1]

 

Book Description

Would you stay in a haunted house for more than one night?

Would you live in a place where ghostly things keep happening? Where a cellar door you know you locked the night before is always open the following morning? Where hushed whimpering is heard? Where white shadows steal through the darkness? Where the presence of evil is all around you?

Would you? Should you?

The Caleighs did, but they had their reasons. They should have known better though. As the terror mounts, they begin to regret their decision. As the horror rises, they realize their very lives are at risk....and so is their sanity. For the secret of Crickley Hall is beyond all nightmares.

Darn! I had a feeling I should have saved this book for RIP but I read it anyway… What a good book!  I really enjoyed this one even though there was sadness in it. 

The author really knew how to take his time and build on a story and then turn it into a “thriller of a haunting”.  I really don’t want to say much more then the Book Description says above because too much would take away from anyone who picks it up to read!

I will say that at first it seems a bit slow going, but that’s only because I figured they’d jump right into the house being haunted, but instead they fill you in on the life of the family that rents the home.  It was an excellent build up to the excitement that builds oh so slowly and oh so smartly to the ending of the book!  At 640 pages, trust me.. nothing happens so fast that you will miss it!!

I would definitely recommend this to anyone that likes a good haunted house read!!  As haunted houses go…. this one is one  of the better reads!! 

I think I will search out other books by James Herbert!  And if you want a good book for RIP this would be one you should get! Oh, and dare I mention that it all takes place in and around Devon England? Oh well… it does.

8 Comments:

Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

I'm a wimp when it comes to scary stories...lol But I'm glad you have the fortitude to handle them so at least I can read "about" them ;) Devon, is that where Cath lives?

8:55 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Oooh... sounds like a good'un. I'll try to remember to look for it in Sept for RIP. Especially as it's set in Devon.

Yes indeedy, Kelly, that's where I live. :-)

9:59 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I will have to keep this book in mind come R.I.P. time!

12:50 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: it's not so much "scary ghost" as unraveling the story of what happened at that house and ok.. ghosts lol

Cath.. gee, did I mention Devon? I can't imagine why I'd do that lol

kelly: yeah this would have been good for rip!

1:11 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

This sounds REALLY good!! I'm going to have to put it on the list for RIP!! You've never led me down the wrong path when it comes to ghost stories ;)

8:28 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

chris: well I've read scarier..but I have to say this book is really well written and kept my interest even before the ghost parts began.

5:09 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

This sounds like a great haunted house story.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I've got to get this book!!!! good review, Pat! And by the way, I just did the meme. I hope you like my answers! lol

12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home