My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Mary Poppins

Questonscreensix[1]

Well… I haven’t gotten to the movie I’ve wanted to see (Mirror Mirror) but the other day Mary Poppins was on tv.  And I have to mention that, in all the many years the movie has been out (1964) I had never seen it from beginning to end!  I have always missed parts or came upon it while changing channels etc.  So this time I saw it all!  I do believe that qualifies for OUaT movie!

For those who may never have seen the film Here is a short synopsis:

Mary Poppins is a 1964 musical film starring Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke, produced by Walt Disney, and based on the Mary Poppins books series by P. L. Travers with illustrations by Mary Shepard.

Spoiled and bored upper crust Edwardian English family has their world turned upside down by an all nonsensical nanny who teaches them how to enjoy life. This movie is a musical and has both comedy and pathos and lots of imaginative scenes that are wonderful for adults and children alike. You'll be singing along in no time..."in the most delightful way!"

As everyone knows Julie Andrews plays Mary Poppins..

MaryPoppins-farewell[1]

..as a matter of fact, the next day, The Sound of Music was on tv.. they must  have been having a run on Julie Andrews movies!  One that wasn’t on but is one of my all time favorites of hers is Victor/Victoria. Maybe if I am lucky it will come on some day soon.

Anyway:  Next to mention would be Dick Van Dyke as Bert, the chimney sweep, and he also played Mr. Dawes Senior, bank president.  I was lucky enough to have been around when The Dick Van Dyke show was on television! (yeah I know.. old!) Although he was known as a comedian to many he was originally a song and dance man.

mary-poppins[1]

The young kids were played by Karen Dotrice, and Matthew Garber.

karenmatthewGarber[1]

Back in the 1980’s I was privileged enough to meet Karen and her wonderful parents Roy and Kay Dotrice.  (I adored, and still do, Roy from when he played Father on Beauty and the Beast)

marypoppins_cast[1] (Karen, Dick VanDyke and Julie Andrews)

Some of the others from the cast brought back many memories..

Glynis Johns as Mrs Banks. Her filmography list 91 movies that she was in. Yet I wonder if anyone can name any that she was in?

Poster-MaryPoppins_05[1]

Elsa Lanchester as Katie Nanna. She did a LOT of movies but is probably most remembered for The Bride of Frankenstein! (personally I adored  her in Murder By Death)

elsaLancester[1]

Then there was Arthur Treacher as The Constable. And he’s probably more well known as a regular on the Merv Griffin Show

treacher[1]

David Tomlinson as Mr Banks . He doesn’t have a huge list of films, but some might remember him from Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

Poster-MaryPoppins_05[1]

The last I will list (but it  certainly isn’t the end of the cast) is Ed Wynn as Uncle Albert.

edw[1]

Now he was another to strain my brain to all I remember him from..but mostly I do remember The Ed Wynn show. He looked like this back then:

ed-wynn-1[1]

(and is the father of Keenan Wynn) And if you are too young to recognize his face then maybe you would recognize his voice… as the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland.

….and I dare anyone to watch the movie and then NOT go around singing (or humming)

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

So that’s my Once Upon a Time movie!

7 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

How great that you got to see the whole film, finally..And then "Sound Of Music" the next day.
"Victor Victoria was on here recently on one of the Movie Channels I get--NO COMMERCIALS---Hooray! It is a wonderful film, too! I hope you get to see it soon, Pat.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Wonderful film, I remember when it first came out and the huge impact it had. They seemed to stop making decent musicals not long after that. I didn't realise that the little girl in Mary Poppins was a Dotrice.

The Hairy Bikers cookery show was in Austria tonight and them and you have made me feel like watching The Sound of Music again. Julie Andrews had such a stunning singing voice.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

This was a fun post, Pat, to read! I've seen Mary Poppins and it's a fun movie to watch. You certainly have met quite a few stars in your life!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Buried In Print said...

That's true: it's impossible to watch it and NOT hum that song!

I've been meaning to re-read the book as an adult, and to follow up with the sequels. I've heard that they're a lot of fun and bring out another side to the film (which I've always enjoyed wholeheartedly).

Thanks for reminding me that this would fit with this challenge!

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Cheryl @ Tales of the Marvelous said...

Ah, I love this movie. And the books too! I can't see St. Paul's Cathedral without thinking of it. Dick Van Dyke is probably my favorite part of the movie...and it's so hummable (is that word?) and...well, it's just delightful!

11:56 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

One of my favorites, although I haven't seen it forever. It is a movie I always associate with my own Mary as the first time I saw it, or at least remember seeing it, was with her either when we were dating or first married. I will definitely have Mary Poppins songs in my head all day now. :)

2:04 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

You are reminding me how much I loved this movie and want to see it again!

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home