My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Dragonquest

The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey.

Paperback: 832 pages
Publisher: Del Rey;(October 12, 1988)
ISBN-10: 0345340248

pern0[1]

 

41090[1]

Dragonquest by Anne McCaffrey.

Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: Del Rey; 1st edition (October 13, 1986)
ISBN-10: 0345335082

Review

Seven turns have passed since Lessa brought the Oldtimers (dragonriders from the end of the last fall of Thread) from 400 years in the past to present day. At first, most were grateful to still be considered useful. Now, a select few are becoming more and more unruly, and some of them are Weyrleaders.

The people in the holds are letting their felling be known and relations between Weyrs and Holds are breaking down. Only Benden Weyr and Southern Weyr seem to show respect for all of Pern, and F'lar, the Benden Weyrleader, realizes that a boiling point is fast approaching. Top this off with thread falling out of schedule, the hot-headed Weyrwoman Kylara stirring up trouble, fire lizards being found and impressed, a new way of speaking over long distance, and ideas of attacking the Red Star itself, F'lor and Lessa are at their wits end.

Seven years has gone by when you begin book 2, Dragonquest.  Benden Weyr has learned a lot about protecting Pern, but the Oldtimes tend to stick to what things were like 400 turns ago and some refuse to try to change to the “new surroundings”.  Things are definitely not going as well as expected.

Tensions run high.  New cave rooms are found with “old instruments” which become useful, new characters are introduced, a love story unfolds, and the Red Star looms ominously above sending threads in new and different patterns.

F’lar and Lessa continue to try to hold things together but problems keep arising. 

This book also contains fighting queen dragons… unheard of before.

We get to meet Jaxom as an older teenager and before the book ends Ruth, the White Dragon is born. (I cried yet again! geez!)

As always I don’t like to say too much because this trilogy is my favorite books of all time and should anyone decide to discover them I wouldn’t want to have given the whole story away.

Today I will begin the longest of the three books, The White Dragon.  Although I’ve read these books a number of times I find much of the reading fresh and at the same time smile as I remember what’s next. 

If you like adventure.

If you like love stories (not too intimate)

If you like dragons with personalities.

If you like a planet *similiar* to Pandora… you will love these books!

3 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

I know I need to read this one and all of the others too!

4:08 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kathleen: I wish I knew how others would feel about books I like, but none of us can read minds...this trilogy has been my favorite since my first reading of Dragonflight about 30 yrs ago!

7:03 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I think these books stay with you like no others I've ever read. I wish I knew why, fabulous writing, a wonderful planet, amazing characters. All of those I suppose. Great that you're loving your reread so much, pat.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home