My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Hobbit

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hardcover: 384 pages
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children
ISBN-10: 0547953836

hob1[1]

Amazon.com Review

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."

The hobbit-hole in question belongs to one Bilbo Baggins, an upstanding member of a "little people, about half our height, and smaller than the bearded dwarves." He is, like most of his kind, well off, well fed, and best pleased when sitting by his own fire with a pipe, a glass of good beer, and a meal to look forward to. Certainly this particular hobbit is the last person one would expect to see set off on a hazardous journey; indeed, when Gandalf the Grey stops by one morning, "looking for someone to share in an adventure," Baggins fervently wishes the wizard elsewhere. No such luck, however; soon 13 fortune-seeking dwarves have arrived on the hobbit's doorstep in search of a burglar, and before he can even grab his hat or an umbrella, Bilbo Baggins is swept out his door and into a dangerous adventure.

The dwarves' goal is to return to their ancestral home in the Lonely Mountains and reclaim a stolen fortune from the dragon Smaug. Along the way, they and their reluctant companion meet giant spiders, hostile elves, ravening wolves--and, most perilous of all, a subterranean creature named Gollum from whom Bilbo wins a magical ring in a riddling contest

The Hobbit was probably the book that turned me into a fantasy fiction book reader. And well it should!

I decided to reread the Hobbit since I believe I’ve heard that Part 1 of the movie will come out this December.

When I began reading it was good because it had really been eons since I last read the book.  All of the dialogue has been well forgotten by me and I found I had even forgotten one of their adventures on the way to Mirkwood.  Beorn, the skin-changer. I’m not sure how I managed to completely forget him but I did!  So it was good for me to reread the book so I might see how well Peter Jackson sticks to the book.  Though I have full confidence in Mr Jackson to do as superb a job with the Hobbit as he did with LoTR.

Since Amazon gives a good review I will  just write a part of a dialogue that I had forgotten.  It was when Bilbo first meets Smaug and although invisible talks with him.  How amazingly clever Tolkien was to be able to “give so many clues” and not give away who he was!

Smaug: Who are you and where do you come from, may I ask?

Bilbo: You may indeed! I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air. I am he that walks unseen.

So I can well believe, said Smaug, but that is hardly your usual  name.

I am the clue-finder, the web-cutter, the stinging fly, I was chosen for the lucky number.

Lovely titles!  sneered the dragon.  But lucky numbers don’t always come off.

I am he that buries his friends alive and drowns them and draws them alive again from the water.  I came from the end of a bag, but no bag went over me.

These don’t sound so creditable scoffed Smaug.

I am the friend of bears and the guest of eagles.  I am Ringwinner and Luckwearer, and I am Barrel-rider, went on  Bilbo beginning to be pleased with his riddling.

That’s better! said Smaug.  But don’t let your imagination run away with you!

It was good to reread the Hobbit after such a long time.  Now I can’t wait for the movie to come out!  I am a bit troubled though to know it will be out in 3 parts..I hope the releases are 6 months apart and not a year apart!!!

7 Comments:

Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

You know I've never read the hobbit :o I know...GASP!!! I absolutely have to now...thank you my friend <3

4:34 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

So it will be 3 parts for sure? I don't get that at all...

10:21 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Love that copy that you have!!! I so want to read this again before I see the movie. One of my favorite books! Like you, I know I've forgotten a lot of things. I've heard Part 2 is coming out in December 2013

11:13 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Beautiful copy you have there! I reread it several yars ago after not reading it since I was a teen. I was staggered at how much I didn't remember. I also think I loved it more the 2nd. time around. Can't wait for the movie but have *no* idea how they plan to get 3 movies out of it!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

The Hobbit is one of my favorite, favorite books!!! I am planning to reread it this fall. It's one of those books I wouldn't mind rereading once a year!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

It will be three parts. They are pulling in stuff from the appendices to help the story blend more seamlessly into the LOTR film trilogy that already exists. The plan at the moment is for one to come out this winter, next winter, and then in the spring/summer right after for the final film.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Oh Pat, I love The Hobbit too! I've reread it several times, and every time fall deeper into love with it. I'm hoping I can read it to my kids this fall, before the movie comes out, as my daughter is coming to see it, if not the youngest too. It's such a delightful fantasy, isn't it? So much fun.

I love, love, love that drawing of Smaug, too. That too me is what The Hobbit is. I know I will enjoy the movie coming out, though I'm not so sure I want added stuff in it, even if it's from the appendices as Carl says. I wanted a straight Hobbit telling, just like the book is.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home