My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Manna From Hades

Manna From Hades by Carola Dunn.

 rip7200[2]

(book 8 for RIP)

Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: Minotaur Books;(October 16, 2012)
ISBN-10: 1250014751

mannarip[1]

Book Description

Eleanor Trewynn, recently widowed, returns home from years of working overseas to retire to the cozy village of Port Maybn in Cornwall, England. Even in retirement though, she continues her charity work, leasing out the first floor of her house to a charity shop. One morning as she opens the shop, she finds both a particularly valuable donation and a corpse stuffed into the storeroom. The donation is linked to a violent robbery in London but the corpse looks nothing like the robbers being sought by the police. With the help of her niece, Detective Sergeant Megan Pencarrow, and, begrudgingly, Detective Inspector Scumble, Eleanor is determined to unscramble this confounding case of daring theft, double cross, and murder most foul.

The murder/ mystery surrounding Eleanor Trewynn started off slow but half way through it picked up considerably and got much more interesting.

I am afraid I felt a little disappointed though.  I’m not sure what I was expecting, and it could be because of the last book I was coming off of (at times that effects the next book I pick up).  But I didn’t feel as if I was in Cornwall, and I didn’t feel that I knew the characters well enough.  I say that because most of the book is dialogue and although I tend to enjoy that, it’s not as good when you don’t feel you know the characters well.

So… I would  have liked to know them better.

Considering that… the mystery itself was flushed out nicely.   I am more the mystery person then I am a “murder lets find the person who did it”.  I like more stuff behind why things happen.. finding out the secrets as it were.

But this was a nice quick read, something that would go well when you don’t want to have anything too heavy on your mind once you set it down.

I felt I was just getting to know the main characters when the book ended so I wouldn’t mind another mystery using the same characters… maybe I’ll check that out one day. (yeah and maybe my tbr pile will mysteriously get smaller… yeahrightsure!)

2 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I think that's Carola Dunn's new series. I'm still halway through her Daisy Dalrymple series so don't want to start on the Cornish ones just yet as I'm easily confused. LOL. I think one of my worries about them was that there might not be a real feel of Cornwall about them and you seem to indicate that is the case.

5:59 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

That sounds a little disappointing - I was really enjoying the start of your post and thinking that the book sounded really intriguing - particularly being set in Cornwall. I think that's because I always enjoy Daphne duMaurier's books and so this was making me have similar expectations, plus Cornwall was our choice for holidays for many years when I was younger and so it holds a sort of nostalgic appeal for me.
It's a shame this didn't work out better.
Lynn :D

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home