My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, November 19, 2012

Bleeding Heart Square

 

Bleeding Heart Square by Andrew Taylor.

Paperback: 464 pages
Publisher: Hyperion (January 19, 2010)
ISBN-10: 1401310141

bleedingheart[1]

From Publishers Weekly

British author Taylor (An Unpardonable Crime) springs a number of well-timed and well-planned surprises in this briskly paced thriller set in November 1934. Fed up with the slights and slaps of her husband, well-to-do Lydia Langstone decides to room temporarily with her father, whom she hasn't seen since she was a toddler, in his seedy boarding house in London's Bleeding Heart Square. Lydia soon finds out that papa is in the pocket of landlord Joseph Serridge, a darkly charismatic man skilled at manipulating others. Serridge is being investigated by another tenant, journalist Rory Wentwood, for his involvement in the disappearance of Philippa Penhow, the house's former owner. As Lydia helps Rory in his delvings, she uncovers a tangled skein of scandal and deadly intrigues stretching back decades and involving many of those near and dear to her. A hasty finale is the only misstep in this otherwise satisfying period piece.

An Unpardonable Crime is still my favorite book from this author, however, I will say that no matter which of his books you read he can paint a picture very well. 

You begin to feel the time of 1934 and the differences between “the upper crust” and the poor and you envision Bleeding Heart Square quite vividly.

I felt as if most of the book was being descriptive (which I like) and more getting to know the characters then it is writing about the mystery.   So I didn’t pick the book up each and every time I sat in my chair, yet at the same time it drew me enough that I never contemplated “not reading it”.

I will admit the twists and turns and final outcome did come upon you very fast and it ended quickly.  But still… in the end, I have to say I liked the book.  Would I read it again? Probably not, it takes something extra special for me to keep the book for a future reread.  I do like this authors writing though.  So far I’ve read 3 books by him now and I’m sure I will check into others he has written.

2 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

If you keep reading his books, I say he must have something to offer, huh? Sounds like something I would enjoy, but I would have to be in the right mood. Glad you enjoyed!

3:54 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

This is the book I brought home from the library and didn't read. It sounds like it's not bad and I should grab it again. Maybe in the new year.

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home