My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Small J.R.R. Tolkien Collection

In all honesty I’m not sure when this turned into a “collection”!

The first time I remember reading “the Hobbit” was when my kids were only turning teenagers!  Some 30 odd years ago! sheesh.  It was when my eyes were better and so I read a pocket paperback version.. then later I purchased the green hardback below.  Somewhere along the line Rankin/Bass made the cartoon of the Hobbit for television. If I remember right the music was quite good and I guess it made it so young children wouldn’t be quite as afraid of the “darker” parts.

 

hobbitbks[1]

The Rankin/Bass gave me cartoons to try to copy and embroider..which took me some 8 or 9 months to do.

hobbithanging[1]

I also still have a very beaten up / water logged version of the Silmarillion that was given to my brother in 1977.  The inscription reads: To Jim from George, Pat and Boys. (obviously I was married at the time)  My brothers apartment got flooded when an upstairs apartment had a fire.  All the water from the fire trucks made it’s way down to the bottom apartments and they lost a lot..but he saved this book.

hobbitSilm[1]

My collection grew when, again after reading paperbacks, I bought this hardback trilogy of Lord of the Rings.

hobbitLOTR[1]

And who could not buy the dvds???  The extra one of the Two Towers was again, a gift to my brother one Christmas.

hobbitmovies[1]

As each movie came out I managed to add the Visual Companion books…

hobbitguides[1]

In two of the books I even have some signatures (not all are shown)

hobbitsign1[1]

Unfortunately, I never got to meet Ian.. a friend got this signature for me.  But I’d still love to meet him one day!

…I loved meeting Andy Serkis!!! What a nice, nice man!

hobbitsign2[1]

Here are some signatures of some I did not meet but obtained through Creation Convention.

hobbitsign3[1]

Most recently I found these two different Journals…

hobbit1[1]

…and some bookmarks.  This journal is a fake leather with lined paper for writing.

hobbit2[1]

This other journal is with artwork in it….

hobbit3[1]

lovely artwork!…

hobbit45[1]

 hobbit4[1]

Nice drawing below of Treebeard.

hobbit5[1]

Over the years I collected these other paper journals with more artwork.

hobbit6[1]

 hobbit7[1]

 hobbit8[1]

And then of course my friend Kris gave me Gandalf the Grey!

hobbit10[1]

and another friend, Michelle, managed to get these smaller posters for me.. they will be a little late for Christmas but I am super happy she managed to get them!!!

hobbit9[1]

I can safely say that eons ago, when I first read The Hobbit, I certainly never imagined it would turn into such a “collection”!!!  The fact is: I never meant it to be a collection!  But then again.. there’s not a thing here I’d want to get rid of!

3 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I first read The Hobbit when I was 17 or 18 I think. Then I went on to read The Lord of the Rings. Loved them both of course.

Not sure I weould call that a 'small' collection, Pat. LOL

6:16 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I hate to tell you mama, but I don't think that's a "small" collection :p But it sure is a beautiful one!!

2:22 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

That is a lovely collection of Tolkien items. I used to have the Tolkien journal and tomorrow I am going to check to see if I still have it. I really like the posters you are getting, and love the bookmark! Well done, Pat! Collections because you love something - they are the best :-)

12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home