My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, January 11, 2013

Anne McCaffrey & Pern

If you are following Carl’s read-a-long of Dragonriders of Pern and find that you are liking it quite well I thought I would show a list from Wikipedia of the vastness of Anne’s writings about Dragonriders and Pern, along with a little information of her awards on the series… all of the links bring you back to Wikipedia  (fyi).  But before you read all about Pern I have to say that a great part of the original trilogy was brought to life by Michael Whelan with his most fabulous cover art. Click the link to see all the Pern related art that he did!  Thank you Michael Whelan for helping to bring them to life for me!

Awards

Weyr Search won the inaugural Hugo Award for Best Novella in 1968 and Dragonrider won the Nebula Award for Best Novella in 1969. (Both were finalists for both awards.) Dragonquest, The White Dragon, Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern and All the Weyrs of Pern were among the five annual finalists for the best novel Hugo Award.

Original trilogy

These stories take place immediately before and during the Ninth Pass, about 2500 years after landing (AL).

  • Dragonflight 1968, by Anne McCaffrey (1968; composed in part of McCaffrey's first two Pern novellas, Weyr Search and Dragonrider, originally published in 1967)
  • Dragonquest 1970, by Anne McCaffrey.
  • The White Dragon 1978, by Anne McCaffrey (1978; although published prior to Dragondrums, The White Dragon continues the adventures of certain Dragondrums characters; McCaffrey recommends reading Dragonsong, Dragonsinger and Dragondrums before The White Dragon; The White Dragon incorporates McCaffrey's story "A Time When")

The trilogy was released 1978 in omnibus edition titled The Dragonriders of Pern by Nelson Doubleday Science Fiction Book Club.[4]

 Harper Hall trilogy

These stories take place immediately prior to and concurrently with those depicted in Dragonquest and The White Dragon.

The Harper Hall trilogy was released 1984 in omnibus edition titled The Harper Hall of Pern by Nelson Doubleday Science Fiction Book Club.[5] Dragonsong was subtitled "Volume One of The Harper Hall Trilogy" on the front cover of the Bantam Spectra edition, March 1986.[6]

Other fiction by Anne McCaffrey

 

p1[1]  Dragonflight

 p2[1]  Dragonquest

p3[1]   The White Dragon

2 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I've bookmarked this because I want to finish reading the series, like we talked about, but was not sure what order to read them in. So this is really useful. Thanks, Sis!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Wow Pat, thank you for all of these links!

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home