My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, March 04, 2013

Some Kind of Fairy Tale

 Some Kind of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce.
Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: Doubleday (July 10, 2012)
ISBN-10: 0385535783

Img_2615_zps27163941[1]

Book Description

For twenty years after Tara Martin disappeared from her small English town, her parents and her brother, Peter, have lived in denial of the grim fact that she was gone for good. And then suddenly, on Christmas Day, the doorbell rings at her parents' home and there, disheveled and slightly peculiar looking, Tara stands. It's a miracle, but alarm bells are ringing for Peter. Tara's story just does not add up. And, incredibly, she barely looks a day older than when she vanished.

Well, I wasn’t sure when I picked up the book but I should have saved this book for Once Upon a Time!

Another good and enjoyable book!

The story is as told from Amazon a young girl, out in the woods disappears and 20 yrs later comes back looking no older than when she left.

The story has been told before (similar that is).  A child goes missing and returns years later with a fantastical story about being abducted by, what might be, fairies.  Time moves faster for humans than it does in the other place where the fairies live.

The fairies are not tiny things with wings but appear as humans.  Humans that see and feel the beauty around them.  I think that has been written about before too and the older I get the more truthful that becomes. We all seem to go through life and not see or feel all the wonderful things around us until we get old..and then we run out of time to appreciate it all.

This is a very good story .  A good portion of the book revolves around Tara’s return and her brother having her see a psychiatrist.  Tara refuses to lie and you then begin to learn about everything that happened to her and at the same time how the lives of her boyfriend and brother had been during the 20 years she was gone.

For a while you lean towards maybe she is just crazy and moments later you believe her again.  Somewhere along reading you decided if she is crazy or not.  Or at least you think you know if she is or not.

Quite an enjoyable book, with much true to life feelings and happenings of a small family.
I enjoyed this book and think many others will enjoy it too.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I kind of like this theme in stories. The Stolen Child by Keith Donahue springs to mind. There must be a few more. So I like the sound of this one and will add it to my *maybe* list.

4:14 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Yep...you've certainly sealed the deal for me! I have to get this one. Love what you had to say about it too :) You're such a wise mama filled with sage advice :)

12:13 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I like the premise of this one. I don't think or remember reading something like this before. I'm adding this to my list. Thanks for the great review and recommendation Pat!

3:54 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

emailed you Cath and Chris..

Kathleen: I hope if you get it to read that you enjoy it!

4:12 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Oh Pat, you beat me to reading this book! I have it on my shelf, I got it for Christmas. I am saving it for Carl's challenge! lol I'm so glad that you enjoyed it so much. Now I'm happy I only have 3 weeks to wait for the challenge to start, so I can read this! lol

I really enjoyed your review, that's a good one, Pat.

11:11 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Susan : actually I know I don't write reviews very well..I think I have a block. I worry others will like it for what I say and buy it and then not like it !! And that bothers me a lot since I know there are many of us who really shouldn't be spending what little we have on anything "non essential" for getting by. (Iknow you will say they are essential LOL) I do hope you enjoy it when you read it!!

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home