My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Cats of Tanglewood Forest

 

once7mainbanner200

(book 2 for Once Upon a Time )

The Cats of Tanglewood Forest By Charles De Lint and Charles Vess, Illustrator.

Hardcover: 304 pages
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers; (March 5, 2013)
ISBN-10: 0316053570

cats_zps60603288[1]

(below) when the paper cover was taken off.. we find yet another Vess drawing!

cats2_zps4a348403[1]

 

cat3_zps4e7939a9[1]

cats4_zpsede1d579[1]

 

Book Description  Release date: March 5, 2013

The magic is all around you, if only you open your eyes....

Lillian Kindred spends her days exploring the Tanglewood Forest, a magical, rolling wilderness that she imagines to be full of fairies. The trouble is, Lillian has never seen a wisp of magic in her hills--until the day the cats of the forest save her life by transforming her into a kitten. Now Lillian must set out on a perilous adventure that will lead her through untamed lands of fabled creatures--from Old Mother Possum to the fearsome Bear People--to find a way to make things right.

In this whimsical, original folktale written and illustrated throughout in vibrant full color by two celebrated masters of modern fantasy, a young girl's journey becomes an enchanting coming-of-age story about magic, friendship, and the courage to shape one's own destiny.

Admittedly I bought this book for the artwork… which, by the way, does not disappoint! Charles Vess certainly made this a better book than it would have been without his artwork.

The story itself  is very good.  I enjoyed it more then I thought I would.  Fantasy or not, books written for the young people nearly always have subtle things about life written into them, and this one does too.

This book holds a double meaning for me since I took it with me for a stay in the hospital and he helped me thru many boring hours of waiting and helped keep my anxieties  down during the time I was reading it. I’m not sure many other books could have helped me in such a way.

That aside, the story is very captivating and enjoyable.. but this you will find out when you read it for yourself.. and my recommendation is that you DO read it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

Pat! I didn't know you were in the hospital! Everything okay???

I can't wait to get a copy of this book! Max and I read Circle of Cats a few years back, and this is the reworked edition of that, I do believe. I loved it then, and I'm sure I'll love this even more. :)

11:05 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

The Artwork looks fantastic!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

The artwork is beautiful. I think I could spend just ages looking at these pictures - and I really like that when you take the jacket off there's a hidden picture underneath.
Lynn :D

5:26 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

The book looks gorgeous. Glad it helped you while you were in the hospital. Also glad they didn't keep you in any longer than they did. What did they do?

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been hearing good things about this one--and that artwork is beautiful! Thanks for all the pictures. :)

I hope you're doing well!

11:15 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Pat, I hope you are doing okay. I read the bit about the hospital and worried about you!

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home