My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The TBR Pile Grows Again!

So… a few books have come into my apartment…  some are “used” some are new.  The new ones are Speaking from Among the Bones (a Flavia mystery) and from a proper book store: The Black House. (gift certificate).  The others were used books.

newbks_zpse9363e9e[1]

Most of them will work for RIP if I can hold off that long!

Then there is one other new book.  A friend from California sent me an Amazon gift certificate (think she knows me??).  Kris W., my young “let’s go to the movies” buddy from out west.

Anyway: I’ve been wanting this little book about New Providence (NJ) where I grew up.  I had already known that there were photo’s from the 1800’s  on up of the town.  And that many homes and bldgings I knew still existed there.  So I thought “one day I will get this book” because I love the town I grew up in.  And so when Kris W. sent the gift I sent for the book… it was all I imagines..and more.!

np1_zpse214326f[1]

I was looking at all the photo’s and trying to vision the parts of town when they were still dirt roads and recognizing many homes/ buildings when I turned the page.. page 35 to be exact…

There stood 10 young people listed at school guards…

And before my very eyes stood my mother!  I had never seen a photo of her so young!  Only after she had my brother did I see any photo’s.. but she had not changed!

np2_zps4d6a7ba7[1]

np2_zps4d6a7ba7[1]   This is my mother.  A school guard.  Standing in front of the same Elementary school I went to.  I never saw my mother before she was a mom…and with her hair worn down!… my brother looked exactly like her when he was very young!… I wonder what she would think if she were alive to see a photo of herself in a book!…It makes me wish, so much, that I knew information about my mother and father and grandparents.  All I know is my mother was adopted by George and Gertrude Osborn of New Providence…  I will always wish I knew my “history”.. good, bad or indifferent.. I wish I knew.

So… one never knows what will  happen when you open a book to read!

9 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

Oh my gosh, Pat!!! How incredible!!! And awesome!!! I'm seriously tearing up here just thinking about the moment you turned that page...I can only try to imagine how it must have felt. I am sooooo glad that's the book you decided to buy with that gift certificate!

1:55 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

How truly wonderful Pat....so very special to have this photo of your mother at such an early age...
I wish you could find out more about your ancestors....That would be really great, if you could find a way to research that.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

It must have taken your breath away to turn the page and suddenly find yourself staring at your own mother. Thrilled to bits for you, Pat. I too wish you were able to find out more about her.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Wow Pat, that is marvelous, isn't it? Like a gift almost from the universe, so you don't feel all alone and unconnected. Here is the book that you really wanted, and an unexpected treasure in it.

Do you not have adoption laws there that say if you want your records revealed, you can ask for them? Also, as most of them are passed on by now, they can release the information now to you, can't they?

Also, Ancestry.com is a quick way to search for information - you might be surprised if you put in your mother's name, what you find.

I'm so thrilled that you found this, Pat. And you have to read The Black House!

11:46 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

And I completely forgot to say that The Black House is an amazing book and I think you will love it. And is that the latest Flavia book? Not sure if that's out here yet...

And I'll second what Susan said that there should be some info available somewhere by now.

4:37 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath and susan: unfortunately you really don't get anywhere at Ancestory.com unless you buy their program. and I've heard you don't get very far with the cheap version of their program. my son tried to find some things at the library computers as they have the "cheap version" and we got no where really... guess it really doesn't matter..no one left but me to care about what may be found.

6:11 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

How wonderful! I bet you were not expecting to find her picture in a book. :) I recently bought a book on the history of my neck of the woods and was excited to find pictures of postcards that I have... Not quite the same, but it is always fun to see what things used to look like and picture what is there now. :)

I am looking forward to the new Flavia. Happy reading!

2:19 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

That is just too freaking cool that your mom turned up in that book!!!! We have those books down here for all of our local cities :) I'll have to try some of them to see if any of my relatives show up in any of them :) And I think for once you've brought in more books than me!

4:23 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: any time you make connections in books I find it flabbergasting!

Chris: I could never bring in more books than YOU! LOL LOL..but if we ever lived in the same house we'd have nothing but paths thru rooms filled with books! lol

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home