My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Dust and Shadow

RIP8main300_zps3f26c546[1]

Book 4 for RIP!..

Dust and Shadow by Lyndsay Faye.

Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher: Simon & Schuster(December 1, 2009)
ISBN-10: 1416583319

shadow_zps841f4c84[1]

• Sherlock Holmes is one of literature’s most beloved characters: Ever since Sir Arthur Conan Doyle created the character of detective Sherlock Holmes, fans have clamored for more. Numerous authors have taken up the task of keeping Holmes alive, but few have successfully delivered as faithful an offshoot as Lyndsay Faye. In Dust and Shadow, she brings an unveiled authenticity to the legendary hero..
• A thoroughly gripping, old-fashioned investigator: Penned as a pastiche by the loyal and courageous Dr. Watson, Dust and Shadow tells the harrowing story of Sherlock Holmes’s attempt to hunt down Jack the Ripper on the gritty streets of late nineteenth-century London. Brimming with impeccable historical detail, this astonishing debut novel explores the ?terrifying prospect of tracking a serial killer without the advantage of modern forensics and profiling. A tour-de-force, this promising debut signals the arrival of a tremendous talent in mystery and historical fiction..

Ok.. so.. if you like Sherlock Holmes and Watson you will like this book!  The author has nailed not only their speech (dialog) but the descriptions of the streets and times of Jack the Ripper.

I know those of you younger then me (that would be everyone!) will hear different voices but I heard Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce very clearly!    Really, really, well written!  I haven’t come a cross many Holmes books done as well as Doyle can do but this is one of them.  (two others would be written by Nicholas Meyer).

This was a great read for RIP and I”m glad I had it!  I hope others who like Sherlock and are familiar with Jack the Ripper, take a chance and read this book!  There’s just nothing more I can say about it !

2 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Added to my list of books to look into. Really enjoyed the one I read and this looks good too.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

This sounds great. I love Holmes and Watson so any return is most welcome and it's hard to recreate the voice so if the author has achieved that then I can't wait. I also hear Rathbone and Bruce when I read Holmes and Watson - I love black and white films and I LOVED all of these - particularly The Hound of the Baskervilles. There hasn't been anyone since who has captured this role for me in the way Rathbone did (plus Bruce - I loved the way he had his sort of hurt look if he thought Holmes was being unfair to him!)
It makes me want to watch the whole set (except of course I don't own them - I should go and see if you can buy these somewhere online).
Lynn :D

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home