My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, November 03, 2013

RIP Wrap-up

RIP8main300_zps3f26c546[1]

This hasn’t been my best year for reading.. not for RIP either!  But it always amazes me how fast the time goes by!

This year I only read 7 books. I am glad for even that many since I have been feeling so poorly .

I have to admit I was disappointed with Bellman and Black. I am very character driven but there was little to latch on to with the characters in this book.

 Bellman & Black.................Diane Setterfield (337 pgs)

A Cast of Killers was a bit better and based on a true murder in Hollywood many years ago.

A Cast of Killers..............Sidney Kirkpatrick  (301 pgs)

I enjoyed The Black Country which was a second book  by Alex Grecian using some of the same characters from his first book, The Yard.

The Black Country...............Alex Grecian     (400 pgs)

Dust & Shadow I also enjoyed very much. Up until this book the only other Sherlock Holmes books I read that were not by Conan Doyle were the ones written by Nicholas Meyer. (which I enjoyed also).  There is a lot of dialog in Dust & Shadow and I continually heard the voices of Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce.

Dust & Shadow...................Lyndsay Faye   (336 pgs)

I liked The Black House. A bit of a different mystery taking place in the Isle of Lewis off of Scotland.

The Black House.................Peter May        (368 pgs)

The House of Silk was yet another Sherlock Holmes book.  I never expected to read two Holmes books but it had other good reviews so I was forced into it lol!

The House of Silk...............A Horrowitz      (294 pgs)

And the absolute most enjoyed book I read was the last one!  Before I go to Sleep.  Wow, I never expected to be so captivated as I was with this book.  I was a bit sicker then other times and so for me to continually try to read this means it had to be good!  Most would think.. so someone has amnesia and someone else will figure out the mystery behind it all… and they would be wrong!  So many times I thought I figured this or that out only to find I was wrong!  The twists and turns are many and if you don’t feel like you are in Christine's poor amnesia set mind then you aren’t reading the book I read!

Before I Go To Sleep............S J Watson      (360 pgs)

Thank you again Carl (Stainless Steel Droppings) for all you do bringing so many readers together to be able to enjoy so my reviews…and to add more books to my wish list.  (did I just thank him for making my wish list longer?  Ugh!)

Until next year at the same time:  So long for now RIP!

4 Comments:

Blogger Rick Robinson said...

Lots of great stuff this time, Deslily. I'm now tempted by those Holmes pastiches.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I think you did fantastic, I really do. Especially given the fact you haven't been well most of the time.

I've read two of yours, The House of Silk and The Black House... planning on reading a third very soon - Before I Go to Sleep.

6:05 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I am impressed that you read seven books!!! Especially, given that you have been feeling so lousy, my dear Pat....That one about the Hollywood murder sounds very interesting to me...!

4:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am fascinated by how everyone feels differently about what constitutes a good amount of reading...7 on-challenge books sounds good to me!

But that is part of the fun of Carl's laid-back challenges...everyone can pretty much set their own goals. :)

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home