My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Shadowy Horses

The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley.

Paperback: 432 pages
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark (October 2, 2012)
ISBN-10: 9781402258701

THE INVINCIBLE NINTH ROMAN LEGION MARCHES FROM YORK TO FIGHT THE NORTHERN TRIBES. AND THEN VANISHES FROM THE PAGES OF HISTORY.

Archaeologist Verity Grey has been drawn to the dark legends of the Scottish Borderlands in search of the truth buried in a rocky field by the sea.

Her eccentric boss has spent his whole life searching for the resting place of the lost Ninth Roman Legion and is convinced he's finally found it—not because of any scientific evidence, but because a local boy has "seen" a Roman soldier walking in the fields, a ghostly sentinel who guards the bodies of his long-dead comrades.

Here on the windswept shores, Verity may find the answer to one of the great unsolved mysteries of our time. Or she may uncover secrets someone buried for a reason.

"Like something out of the pages of Daphne du Maurier."— Daily Express

It seems I am drawn to books that either take place in England or Scotland.. or somewhere close by!

Susanna Kearsley always adds some romance to her books, and this was no exception.  However, it is never her main focus.  This time the focus was on an archeological dig to find traces of the Ninth Roman Legion on the property of a "madman"... or was he?!

The main characters are flushed out and become instantly likeable.  The dig itself becomes a "wonder".  Will they find something or not?  And then there's the Ghost that only a young boy can see!  Even the ghost becomes a fine addition to the lineup of characters.

I quite enjoyed the book!   I don't read "romantic novels" but when there is a good story and a good author, and the "romance" is secondary to everything else... then I do enjoy it.  And this is how Susanna Kearsley has written this book.  She wrote one other that had me really liking the "love interest, Scotsman" that I read some time ago called Winter Sea.  But others of hers jump back and forth between centuries and that generally drives me crazy lol. 

But this was one of her exceptions.. and it's a nice laid back book to read.

3 Comments:

Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

Ooooo this sounds good :)

2:59 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Off to the library this afternoon and gonna see if they've got this as I love the sound of it.

5:29 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Wow, this does sound delightful. I've read one of her other ones and enjoyed it. I think if I come across this one I'll pick it up. Glad you are reading some good books, Pat. Sometimes pleasing and fun is just what we need :-)

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home