My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, March 09, 2015

The Splendour Falls

The Splendour Falls by Susanna Kearsley.

Paperback: 384 pages
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark (January 14, 2014)
ISBN-10: 1402258615

 

An Ancient Castle, a Tragic Love, and a Web of Secrets Begins to Unravel...

Emily Braden has stopped believing in fairy tales and happy endings. When her fascinating but unreliable cousin Harry invites her on a holiday to explore the legendary own of Chinon, and promptly disappears—well, that's Harry for you.

As Emily makes the acquaintance of Chinon and its people, she begins to uncover dark secrets beneath the charm. Legend has it that during a thirteenth-century siege of the castle that looms over the city, Queen Isabelle, child bride of King John, hid a "treasure of great price." And in the last days of the German occupation during World War II, another Isabelle living in Chinon, a girl whose love for an enemy soldier went tragically awry.

As the dangers of the past become disastrously real, Emily is drawn ever more deeply into a labyrinth of mystery as twisted as the streets and tunnels of the ancient town itself.

"A mix of intrigue and adventure...in a style similar to that of Mary Stewart or Barbara Erskine, Kearsley does an excellent job evoking the atmosphere of Chinon with its brooding castle."—The Winnipeg Free Press

"Kearsley's action-packed mystery-romance, set in a medieval French town, shows the same deft plotting that won Kearsley the Catherine Cookson prize for Mariana."—Chatelaine

 

This is not my first book by Susanna Kearsley, nor will it probably be my last.

I have to admit I had hoped for a little more excitement in the "mystery" part of the book, but over all I still enjoyed it.  I also don't usually read book that the setting is France (vs. England/Scotland/Ireland), so strangely I felt a little "lost", I think I need to stay in Britain!

The book covers a bit of History, some very good characters, a beginning of a romance and even a few murders.  So she covers a lot of ground in 384 pages.

The non-appearance of Harry for vacation with Emily annoyed me at first, but later makes perfect sense.  Once he was in the picture I found it hard seeing the name Harry without wanting to add "Potter" after it lol.  An old persons mind (mine) can get jumbled easily! 

Anyway.. it was an enjoyable read.  Not too dark, and a good adventure.

3 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

I have yet to read anything by Susanna Kearsley, but she seems to be pretty welled loved. One of these days...

11:28 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Like Debi I haven't read anything by SK either but now have a book by her on the tbr pile - Mariana. That one is set in Wiltshire which is a county not too far from here so will give it a go at some stage.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I love Susanna Kearsley! I have her new book pre-ordered. :)

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home