My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, September 08, 2015

The Woman in Black

(Book 2 for RIP)

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill.

Paperback: 200 pages
Publisher: Vintage;(January 3, 2012)
ISBN-10: 0307745317

A classic ghost story: the chilling tale of a menacing specter haunting a small English town. Arthur Kipps is an up-and-coming London solicitor who is sent to Crythin Gifford--a faraway town in the windswept salt marshes beyond Nine Lives Causeway--to attend the funeral and settle the affairs of a client, Mrs. Alice Drablow of Eel Marsh House. Mrs. Drablow's house stands at the end of the causeway, wreathed in fog and mystery, but Kipps is unaware of the tragic secrets that lie hidden behind its sheltered windows. The routine business trip he anticipated quickly takes a horrifying turn when he finds himself haunted by a series of mysterious sounds and images--a rocking chair in a deserted nursery, the eerie sound of a pony and trap, a child's scream in the fog, and, most terrifying of all, a ghostly woman dressed all in black.

Well, this certainly is the perfect book for RIP!

I am not usually into ghost stories but this one was done really well.

Just the fact that it depended on the tide to get to the house in question was enough to make ME want to stay away!   I didn't see the movie when it came out and had wanted to since it was Danielle Radcliff.  Maybe I will consider picking up the movie!

The Amazon review is a better review than I could ever give.  I did find that it was one of those books you pick up immediately upon sitting down in your favorite chair.  Since it isn't a big book you read it rather quickly!

If you still need a book to read.. this would be a perfect read!

4 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

Oooh, this sounds good! And good for me--I actually own it!

So just a week into September and you've already completed the Peril you signed up for, huh? LOL-why does this not surprise me? :)

1:28 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

You're going well, Pat!

I found the movie very different to the book. I loved the Victorian-ness of the book... it was creepy but not terrifying. Well written. The movie scared the c**p out of me. Seriously. But it was good. LOL

6:01 PM  
Blogger Fence said...

I enjoyed both the film & the book versions of this. Both creepy and atmospheric in their own way.

I would love to see the theatre version, it is supposed to be the scariest play ever! I could well imagine

12:57 PM  
Blogger The Bookkeeper's Apprentice said...

I loved this book! I was lucky enough to get to see the play in London and it was incredible-absolutely one of the best and most terrifying theater experiences of my life! I really enjoyed the movie too, as well as the film sequel.

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home