My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, March 28, 2016

Things Half in Shadow

Things Half in Shadow by Alan Finn.

Paperback: 448 pages
Publisher: Gallery Books (December 30, 2014)
ISBN-10: 1476761728







Postbellum America makes for a haunting backdrop in this historical and supernatural tale of moonlit cemeteries, masked balls, cunning mediums, and terrifying secrets waiting to be unearthed by an intrepid crime reporter.
Edward Clark is a successful young crime reporter in comfortable circumstances with a lovely, well-connected fiancée. Then an assignment to write a series of exposés on the city’s mediums places all that in jeopardy.
In the Philadelphia of 1869, photographs of Civil War dead adorn dim sitting rooms, and grieving families attempt to contact their lost loved ones. Edward’s investigation of the beautiful young medium Lucy Collins has unintended consequences, however. He uncovers her tricks, but realizes to his dismay that Lucy is more talented at blackmail than she is at a medium’s sleights of hand. And since Edward has a hidden past, he reluctantly agrees that they should collaborate in exposing only her rivals.
The mysterious murder of noted medium Lenora Grimes Pastor as Lucy and Edward attend her séance results in a plum story for Edward—and a great deal more. The pair want to clear themselves from suspicion, but a search spanning the houses of the wealthy to the underside of nineteenth-century Philadelphia unearths a buzzing beehive of past murder, current danger, and supernatural occurrences that cannot be explained…


I am not into reading about the supernatural but the amazon review read like there were many small mysteries (finding out about the characters), that I got a used copy.  The books surprised me in that I found myself wanting to read each time I sat down. (that hasn't happened in a while).

Short chapters always help.  In fact the absolutely make me read "just a little more" before setting the book down.

So, you read through some séance's, and learn the old tricks that used to be used to fool people. (noises happening, things moving).  But by the end of the book you have a little "hope' that maybe it could be done...for real!

This book was a very enjoyable read for any who enjoy the supernatural and murder mysteries !  It was a very good mixture of them both.

 

2 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

There were Victorian seances in the last book I read and something else I read this year (I wonder what? LOL!) and I always find them interesting. The things got up to... very clever deceptions but sad how many desperate people they decieved. Got your email by the way. I should be getting my pc back on Wednesday so you should get a reply later in the week.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I have never heard of this book before, but it sounds worth checking out!

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home