My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

A Memory of Violets

A Memory of Violets by Hazel Gaynor.

 

Paperback: 432 pages
Publisher: William Morrow Paperbacks (February 3, 2015)
ISBN-10: 0062316893




A short but sweet book review....................

Amazon:

In 1912, twenty-year-old Tilly Harper leaves the peace and beauty of her native Lake District for London, to become assistant housemother at Mr. Shaw’s Home for Watercress and Flower Girls. For years, the home has cared for London’s flower girls—orphaned and crippled children living on the grimy streets and selling posies of violets and watercress to survive.

Soon after she arrives, Tilly discovers a diary written by an orphan named Florrie—a young Irish flower girl who died of a broken heart after she and her sister, Rosie, were separated. Moved by Florrie’s pain and all she endured in her brief life, Tilly sets out to discover what happened to Rosie. But the search will not be easy. Full of twists and surprises, it leads the caring and determined young woman into unexpected places, including the depths of her own heart.

Yet another book that isn't a crime book!..  but what a good book it was!

A lot of atmosphere.  A lot of sadness. And yet a lot of hope and happiness, all wrapped up in this one book.

The book contains 2 stories.  One of the two "flower girls" and the story of Tilly, a girl who doesn't know her life was/is anything but what she thought was.

The book is very easy reading, very well written, and very descriptive.  It's written keeping with the time period in which it takes place and makes you feel you are right there.

You might want to give this one a chance. 

 

 

2 Comments:

Blogger Kailana said...

I have been curious about this one. Glad you liked it!

3:48 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

This sounds delightful. I know how much you like books with 'secrets'.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home