My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, November 20, 2017

The Earth is Weeping

The Earth is Weeping (The Epic Story of the Indian Wars for the American West) by Peter Cozzens.

Paperback: 592 pages
Publisher: Vintage;(September 5, 2017)
ISBN-10: 0307948188






Amazon Review:

After the Civil War the Indian Wars would last more than three decades, permanently altering the physical and political landscape of America. Peter Cozzens gives us both sides in comprehensive and singularly intimate detail. He illuminates the intertribal strife over whether to fight or make peace; explores the dreary, squalid lives of frontier soldiers and the imperatives of the Indian warrior culture; and describes the ethical quandaries faced by generals who often sympathized with their native enemies. In dramatically relating bloody and tragic events as varied as Wounded Knee, the Nez Perce War, the Sierra Madre campaign, and the Battle of the Little Bighorn, we encounter a pageant of fascinating characters, including Custer, Sherman, Grant, and a host of officers, soldiers, and Indian agents, as well as great native leaders such as Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull, Geronimo, and Red Cloud and the warriors they led.

This book is a good source about the Indian Wars... however.. It doesn't surpass, "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee".

If I had to pick one over the other I would take Wounded Knee. 

I think this book talks a bit more of the white's side of the story compared to the Indians.  It's difficult not to take sides the more you read about what was done to the true natives of America. 

 

1 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Funny, they say Wounded Knee is the definitive book on the Indians and your experience seems to prove that. Europeans did terrible things to them. I read one book abut what the Spanish did to Mexican and then more northern tribes. Just killing whole villages... just because they could. Makes me want to weep.

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home